Before you can reset IE settings you must first close all other open windows and programs
Windows default browser (old) Internet explorer, although its almost forgotten but still used in many secure windows environment where people still use it. CIS bench mark mostly recommend not to use unnecessary applications. As Internet explorer comes by default with windows server and client operating system so you have to use it to browser in-house deployed web applications for smoke test and other testing purposes. To work with SSO (single sign-on) sometimes you need to reset the settings of internet explorer. I tried to reset internet explorer settings so that i can use the SSO feature of my application but was getting the error “Before you can reset IE settings you must first close all other open windows and programs”. I tried everything but was not able to do it after multiple attempts. Even I closed the browser multiple times but was not able to get rid of this issue.
I followed under listed instructions to solve this problem.
- Close any open internet explorer
- Open task Manager (Go to run (Windows Key + R) and type taskmgr)
- Under processes tab search for internet explorer and internet explorer32
- Right click on it and end task both processes
- check if there is any other process running with the name of internet explorer or internet explorer32 and close it.
- Once done with end task of these processes, open the internet explorer again and try to reset the settings.
There might be other reasons and solution but this one worked for me and I hope it will help someone else as well. Keep visiting for more and more issues to troubleshoot.